List of Sultans of Selangor (1745 – current):
- Sultan Sahahuddin Shah (Raja Lumu: 1745-1778)
- Sultan Ibrahim Shah (Raja Ibrahim: 1778-1826)
- Sultan Muhammad Shah (Raja Muhammad: 1826-1857)
- Sultan Sir Abdul Samad (Raja Abdul Samad: 1857-1896)
- Sultan Sir Alaeddin Sulaiman Shah (Tengku Sulaiman Shah: 1896-1937)
- Sultan Sir Hisamuddin Alam Shah Al-Haj (Tengku Alam Shah: 1937-1942, 1945-1960)
- Sultan Musa Ghiatuddin Riayat Shah (Tengku Musaeddin: during Japanese occupation 1942-1945)
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Al-Haj (Tengku Abdul Aziz Shah, 1960-2001)
- Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah Al-Haj (Tengku Idris Shah: 2001 – current)
This position is hereditary and can only be held by a member of Selangor’s royal family.
Role, Duties and Powers of the Sultan.
The constitution of 1959 states down the role, duties and powers of the Sultan. It declares that the office of Sultan is vested with the executive power of the state, is the head of the Islam religion in the state and safeguards the customs and traditions of the Malay people in his state.
Source: Breakaway Selangor guide