Sepang International Circuit History
The state-of-the-art circuit, Sepang International Circuit (SIC) was officially opened on March 9, 1999 by former Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad. It was completed in a record 14 months and with the recognition of its ultramodern facilities, it was given the honour to incorporate the F1 logo in its name.
Situated 85km from the Kuala Lumpur city centre, it is accessible via modern North-South Expressway, Railway Links and a network of Highways. Being closely situated to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport makes it an ideal place for world-class international events.
With a length of 5.543 km, the track features 15 turns and 8 straights with access speeds of more than 300km/h. The track allows ample opportunities for overtaking, to ensure a race full of suspense and thrill.
Sepang International Circuit however, isn’t solely a physical facility for Motorsports. In this place called ‘Home of Motorsports’ lies the aspiration of making Malaysia the hub for motor racing activities in the region and a catalyst to spark a new beginning for Malaysia’s motorsports industry.
In all, the track can accommodate up to 130,000 spectators at a time. The Main Grandstands and 18 air-conditioned Corporate Suites have a capacity of 32,000. While Grandstands K and F can fill up to 18,500 spectators facing, turns 1 and 7 respectively.
The 1.3 km long double frontage Main Grandstand presents a view of the circuit’s longest straight. The Main Grandstand is constructed along the east-west alignment to ensure shade from the sun’s glare at all times.
The heart of the circuit and focal point is the three-storey Pit Building, facing the Main Grandstand. All the main facilities are housed here with 33 Pits, Race Control Room, Time Keeping Room, luxurious Paddock Clubs and Management Offices.
The administrative block for Sepang International Circuit is the Welcome Centre, which also serves as the gateway to the Main Grandstand. Apart from the offices, it also houses the Sepang Circuit Shoppe, an Automotive Museum and restaurant. The track is electronically linked through a network of fiber optic cabling systems along the track to 27 closed circuit TV cameras, which is centrally monitored at the Race Control Room. Every incident along the 5.543km circuit is recorded by the cameras and will be closely watched by the clerk of the course during events.
Safety is the utmost importance, and for that, Sepang International Circuit has a special block dedicated for its Medical Centre. It is situated next to the Pit Building and during major events, this block will be transformed into a fully equipped miniature hospital.
Activities available at Sepang International Circuit:
Whether you’re looking for your company’s next team-building venue or simply a place to get some adrenaline rush, we are the right place to come to. Speed, strength or skills- test all three with the various activities offered:
Each Tour lasts about 1hour to 1hour 30minutes:
Mondays to Fridays
There are TWO sessions of GUIDED tours daily:
- 10:00 am to 11:30 am
- 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm
Saturdays and Sundays (Starting August 2010)
There are THREE sessions of GUIDED tours daily:
- 10:00am to 11:30 am
- 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm
- 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
*Timing can be customized for corporate bookings /group booking of 20 pax (minimum).
*A minimum booking of 20 pax is required for the Circuit Tour on weekends and public holiday.
- Welcome and a brief introduction of Sepang International Circuit at the Welcome Centre.
- A Walk through the Mall Area and catch the view from the Main Grandstand >and the iconic Hibiscus Tower.
- Experience the behind-the-scene of what makes a race successful at the Paddock Building (Paddock Clubs, Perdana Suites, Media Centre, Race Control and Winners’ Podium)
- A Visit to the National Automobile Museum.
- A free goodie bag as a token and a chance to buy more souvenirs at the Sepang Merchandise shop.
- Circuit Tour is not available 7 days before, during and after all local and/or major events happening at the circuit due to the safety of our guests and spectators.
- Contact us beforehand to check Availability of your desired date for the tour
- Please note that the first part of the tour is by car, before continuing by foot. SIC does not provide any transport for guests of the tour. Therefore, Guests are advised to come in their own transport. They would be allowed to bring their car/ taxi/ buses in, after getting an approval from the Security Guards.
Adult – RM50
Children (12yrs and below) – RM25
Students (with ID) – RM 25
Infants (Below 5 years old) – Free
Group and Agents discount available
*The fee includes the guided tour and a free Goodie Bag
Monday to Sunday: 10.00 a.m to 7.00p.m.
Fridays ONLY: 10.30 a.m – 1.00 a.m (night karting available)
Please call 03-8778 2283 for booking
Package and Rates
1. Quick Experience
You arrive and go for a ‘Free & Easy’ karting on our track for 10 minutes. No frills!
- 200cc 4 stroke Engine 6.5 horsepower
- On average, 7-8 laps can be achieved in 10 minutes
- Best lap – 1:03 seconds
- Price: RM 40 per pax/ 10 minutes.
*For this package, walk-ins are allowed but we suggest checking with us first by calling 03-8778 2283 as there might be private bookings at your chosen time.
2. Race Adventure
Designed like a Formula One race, one gets to experience a “Race Feel” via the practice, qualifying and Final rounds.
- 200cc 4 stroke Engine 6.5 horsepower
- Minimum number for booking: 10 pax
- Takes about 45 minutes- 1 hour
- Maximum number of karts on the track at one time to race :18
- Includes Race Management and Timekeeping
- Price: RM 150 per pax
If you would like to Drive on the Sepang International Track, here is how:
Bring Your OWN CAR and join us for Our Track Days. The only place where you can test your car to its limits, in a safe perimeter!
Sepang Circuit Track Days
Looking for a place to test your car or bike? Sepang Circuit organises track days on most weekends (subject to circuit availability) to cater for the high request for personal track usage.
Starting from December 2010, it is compulsory for riders (for bikes TD) to be equipped with leather riding suit, proper boots and helmet before entering the track.
|RM300.00 per session.||RM150.00 for Bikes above 400cc
RM100.00 for Bikes below 400cc.
|RM300.00 per session.||RM200.00 for per session.|
Any make/model cars or bike will be allowed to participate for the track day. It may be an extensively modified Supra, or could be a classic VW Beetle, it will still be allowed on the track.
Our only requirements is that the engine is not leaking oil, and that the car meets our national safety code (i.e. seat belts in working condition, brakes working).
For more information on driving experience track, visit MalaysianGP.com.my
SIC can personalize an event day for you and package the activities as needed.